Friday, January 1, 2010

To infinity and beyond...2010!

I remember in the early to mid 1980's, the year 2000 and beyond seemed like an eternity away. I seriously didn't know if we would last as an existence beyond that New Year's Eve 1999. Would all the computers of the world think it was really 1900 as opposed to 2000? Would traffic lights stop working, electrical grids go down, computers fry and would animals and birds walk and fly backwards? It was the hype of Y2K and the possibility of life as we knew it was threatened.

This week for the first time in a long time, I watched the news. I normally don't really know what is going on in the world around me. Daddy Brown comes home and tells me of something crazy that has happened. I'll be at Tutu Nani's house and I'll remember that someone like Walter Cronkite passed away, but thinking it was last week, not 6 months ago. I'll check my facebook home page and realize something tragic has happened. I'm kinda in my own little bubble. I think I like it that way. It makes me sad and terrified and scared what lay before us in our future. Full body scans at airports...really? Intelligence that should have alerted our government of this individual...failed. So, this terrorist now makes it necessary to take x-rays of all our law-abiding citizens. X-rays that show your body basically naked...and who will see these images? Does that mean that government will now have an image of my body to put on file? Does that mean that pregnant women will be subject to this radiation? Ugh...it just makes me frustrated.

The helm of our country isn't really showing us any leadership. Not surprised. Don't get me wrong, they make a beautiful Christmas card. Even things that I don't agree, hasn't materialized. Abu-Grahib prison is still up and running, the war is still going, we are still sending troops to the Middle East and more and more are being sent specifically to Afghanistan. What will transpire over the next decade? How do we wake up everyday and live life not in complete and total fear?

My answer...faith and prayer! I find myself praying harder and longer everyday. I'll not make the mistake of turning the news on for a long while. All the news that makes me fearful and sad, it's painful and I can't bear it. Philippians 4:4-7 says: "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplications with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of god which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ."

Clinging to his promises help me through the day. Days of sorrow and depression are melted away when I find a verse or proverb that jumps off the page at me. Everything can't be bad...he gave me a wonderful family. He gave me Daddy Brown. He gave me two beautiful, healthy, smiling joys of my life, Brownies. What more could I ask for...peace on earth? Psalms 34:9-17 says: "O fear the Lord, you His saints; For to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions do lack and suffer; But they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing. Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. Who is the man who desire life, And loves length of days that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, And your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and purse it. The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, And His ears are open to their cry. The face of the Lord is against evildoers, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. The righteous cry, and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles."

I still have hope, I still have faith, I still have the promises of our Lord that the infinity and beyond includes me. One day there will be no pain, there will be no sorrow. I look forward to those days. 2010...maybe the start of a new year, but can also be the start of a new day for those who seek to do evil. "Depart from evil and do good" I still have hope, I still have faith, I still have the promises of the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!