Monday, December 14, 2009

I believe in Santa Claus

Today, we mustered together some holiday cheer and the Brownies and I ventured to the Galleria Mall to see Santa. Tutu Nani joined us for added support and extra hands. When we arrived, Santa was off feeding his reindeer and was to return at 2p. Tutu Nani walked around with the Brownies while I waited in line holding our spot to visit Santa.

To my right, were 2 grandmothers waiting with their grandchildren and all the while, complaining about everything Christmas. The lines, the noise, the lights...if it had to do with Christmas, they were complaining about it. One grandmother said, "You know, I don't know why I even do this...why do I even bring them to see Santa?" As I listened to their conversation, it made me reflect back on when I was a child and the holiday memories my Mom and Dad made for us. The tree was always amazing. The gifts were always wonderful and thoughtful. We never wanted for anything. My Mom and Dad always made sure that we had the best Christmas every year.

As I'm in my own little world, the grandmothers turned to me and said, "Do you really get excited about all this Christmas jazz?" I replied, "You know, my tree isn't up yet, I don't have hardly any of my shopping done, but YES, I do enjoy watching the twinkle in my boys eyes." I went on to tell them that Christmas isn't just about the "Christmas Jazz", but that it is also a time to teach our children that it is Jesus' Birthday. They both looked me, stunned and speechless. It was as if I said that reindeer were my primary form of transportation. Tonight at a gathering, this very topic came up again. There was some discussion about whether we as parents should tell our children there is not a Santa. I know and understand that there is a fine line for children, to believe in something like Santa. I also have to say that I do enjoy all the "Christmas Jazz", the Jingle Bells, the caroling and yes...we even believe in Frosty the Snowman. Is that wrong?

I don't think so. I feel like there are small treasures in life that are captured only at certain times in life of our children. The Brownies and I have a conversation at least once a day about Santa, Christmas and yes, about Jesus. I still believe in Santa. Yes, you heard me correctly. Santa to me is not necessarily a person, it is a season. It gives me an opportunity to have open ears from my Brownies to hear and learn all the stories about Jesus, and to actually talk to them on a level they can understand. If talking about eggs gave me the same effect, we'd talk about eggs...then talk about Jesus. But that is not the case. My children are 1 and 2 years old. They understand more and more every day.

Deuteronomy 4:10 says, "especially concerning the day you stood before the Lord your God in Horeb when the Lord said to me, 'Gather the people to Me, and I will let them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.'" and Deuteronomy 6:7 says, "You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." The season of Christmas offers us as parents an opportunity to talk to our children about Jesus.

When we finally do put our Christmas tree up, I want our Christmas tree to be an illustration that Jesus is eternal life. Our Christmas lights on the tree to represent that Jesus is the light of the world. I hope to teach our children that the exchange of wrapped presents are an example of God’s greatest gift, his Son who came wrapped in swaddling clothes. We talk about Santa, however we also talk about Jesus. Oh yes...I believe in Santa Claus. I believe in Christmas and I believe that God has given us this opportunity to use this season as a teachable moment. Thank you Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!

1 comment:

KellyRose said...

Love it Love it Love it! Your words are perfect! So good to see you last night.