Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers...

I believe in my heart of hearts that the Good Lord meant for me to be in this world for a reason. There have been times in my life that I have struggled internally in search of what that purpose really is supposed to be. People have entered into my life and some have exited. However, there are a few people that remain constant. I feel very fortunate that my life path up to this point, has been a fairy tale in many ways. I was swept off my feet by the love of my life. I have two beautiful healthy children. I have a beautiful and loving family that love and care for me unconditionally and I them.

Being a Mom, is one of the hardest jobs in the entire world. It is a 24 hour a day job and we work 7 days a week. I sometimes have a mini vacation when the kids take a long nap or when Daddy takes over for a short time. However, there is nothing like the unsolicited "I love you" that comes from my boys lips and the request of hugs and kisses that happen on a daily basis. There is no sweeter sight than the peaceful look on my child's face as he sleeps in my arms or the touch of my baby's hand as he rubs my arm when I hold him tight. Being a Mom for me has so many rewards. I'm now blessed to know that my purpose is to be the best Mom to my Brownies. I could not have been more prepared to be a Mom, had it not been for special people in my life.

In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to share a little bit about two Mom's in particular...my Mom (Tutu Nani) and Daddy Brown's Mom (Gran Gran).

My mom is one of the strongest women I know. She has so much determination in life. She is eternally optimistic and always looks first to see the good in people. She has taught me that I can do absolutely anything in my life I choose. She inspires me to be a good mom. She helps to pick me up when I'm low and I know I can talk to her literally anytime of the day or night. She will stop anything she is doing at the drop of a hat to help me or her family. We have spent a lot of time together lately. Time that is so precious to me. She travels with her job a lot, but she always makes time to be a part of our lives. I love my mom with all my heart and I am thankful everyday that the Lord picked her to be my mom. She has great faith and is very caring. I feel I got a great balance of my parents. I am somewhat technical and mechanical which I get from my Dad. And my Mom, I got her "Go get 'em" attitude among many other likenesses. I remember one day as I was walking past the bathroom mirror, I took a quick glance as I was exiting the room. In that split second, I saw my mom. There she was looking back at me. It was further validation that, yep, I'm just like her...and that is fine by me!

Gran Gran is another special mom. Now going on 16 years of having her in my life, I am one of the luckiest daughter-in-laws in the world. She is a true blessing to me. She is a superior mom to Daddy Brown. She is my "Go-to" spiritual advisor. I am always in awe of her faith that is so unwavering. She loves her children, all of her children, with every fiber in her body. I don't think I have ever heard her say a cross word about anyone in the 16 years I've known her. She also inspires me to be a good Mom. One of my favorite "Mom" memories of Gran Gran is when I was preparing to be married to her son. I had a wedding dress fitting and unfortunately, it fell on a day that my mom was out of town. Because of our wedding date and my mom's travel schedule, we could not postpone the fitting. I called Gran Gran and asked her to be my stand-in Mom. I remember feeling so comfortable with her there. I will always remember the look on her face when she saw me in my dress. And I'll remember the laughs we shared as I pranced around in my dress wearing my brown dress shoes. I knew on that day that I'd love her forever.

Yes, I'm very fortunate and very blessed to have 2 very special Mom mentors in my life. They love on me and Daddy Brown and The Brownies every chance they get. Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's in the world today, but a special Happy Mother's Day to Tutu Nani and Gran Gran! I love you both very much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My precious daughter-in-love, you continue to blow me away with your depth of love for your family. We are the "blessed ones" to have you in our lives.
GG