Monday, November 30, 2009

Tis the Season

So in a few minutes, it will officially be December 1st and I cannot believe how quickly this year has flown by. It seems like yesterday that Big Brownie was 6 months old and it was his 1st Christmas. We came downstairs Christmas morning and opened our gifts. Big Brownie got a Build-a-Bear that I slept with for 2 weeks prior to Christmas. I wanted it to have my smell so when we moved him into his crib in his own room, he would have the sense that I was there...and I washed it in my favorite Brownies detergent, so to me, it was like having him with me too. He also received an Elmo walker and some other fun toys.

Last year for convenience, we decided to place our Christmas Tree in our playroom. Little Brownie was 2 1/2 months old and on his first Christmas, he slept in his swing wearing his candy cane striped pajamas as we opened our gifts. In between feedings, he received some flickering and blinking toys that sang and talked to him. He too received his first Build-a-Bear, that of course, I slept with as well. Big Brownie received a Semi-Truck that was loaded up with matchbox cars and a slue of other cars, trucks and balls.

Big Brownie is finally understanding the concepts of Christmas. He now knows that there is a Santa Clause, but he only thinks he is coming to visit us. He knows that there is a Baby Jesus and that we get to sing "Happy Birthday to Jesus". We have been talking about Jesus and how his life and death saves our lives. It completely AMAZES me when something actually sticks and I realize how smart and astute Big Brownie really is. This morning, after a long discussion about Santa Clause and Christmas, I was making breakfast in the kitchen. I heard Big Brownie talking to Little Brownie. He said, "Wanna go to the store to see Santa? I want to give him a BIG hug and a BIG kiss." I smiled and started to walk in, but then I heard, "Close your eyes, put your hands together and let's pray...Jesus, help us go to the store to see Santa, in Jesus name we pray, AMEN!"

I'll admit, I started to cried. Little Brownie all the while is sitting there just listening to his big brother and imitating his actions. He exclaims "AAAAMMMEENNN!" and then "YAY!!!" It made me so happy to know that Big Brownie understands the concept of asking Jesus for his wants, and to him, his needs. And further, that he is also teaching Little Brownie as well. Moments like these help me to know that the Brownies are understanding what I say, even more so than I ever knew.

About a week and a half ago, I heard several people around me say things like, "We are going to Advent the Season". I had heard of an Advent Calendar, heck, I even put one out for decoration each year. But I'll be honest, I really didn't know that meant. So I called Gran-Gran and asked. She explained that it is a time to prepare for the birth Jesus. A time to teach our little ones why we even celebrate December 25th to begin with. Traditionally, Advent is done either on the 4 Sunday's before Christmas or as a daily offering beginning on December 1st. But certainly, I think any time dedicated to this, anytime of year, applies.

So beginning tomorrow, we are starting a daily Advent of the season. I cannot wait. I am making a paper Christmas Advent Chain and on each link, I'll have a scripture to read and a quick and simple activity. I know and do not expect that this will go well every evening, when we sit down to read the bible together as a family and then try to have a discussion with our 1 and 2 year old. However, I believe every year, it will get easier and they will understand more and more. I want them to understand that the holiday of Christmas is not only about the gifts and Santa Clause, but more importantly that on this day, the day that Christ Jesus was born, was the beginning of our Saviors life. 'Tis the Season for a new family tradition.

No comments: