Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Homegrown fun...

This week has been unlike most.  We have not left the house in 3 days, which is a big deal for us.  Most days involve at least one trip out to the store or a visit to family and/or friends.  We usually get up, eat breakfast and Big Brownie puts on his shoes and waits for the announcement of where we will be going for the day.  Laundry and house cleaning/organizing have been on the docket this week.  I'm on a mission to de-clutter and get organized.  My normal state of mind is organized chaos.  It has been a week of Brownies in t-shirt and diapers and me in pajamas.  The theory is if we are not dressed to go out, we will stay in and stay focused.  Although progress is slow, at least we have a plan.

Little Brownie is pleased with the new plan for the week.  This week being at home, he has found comfort in just hanging out with his brother.  Usually his high energy will not allow him to sit still for any length of time.  However, being at home has given him the opportunity to just play, read and be held.  Kisses and hugs have been in abundance this week.  He is so inquisitive these days.  In the mornings, I have been opening the windows and doors to allow the fresh, cool breeze in the house.  He loves to put his hand to the window and touch the screen.  He shrieks with glee.  Big Brownie points out the sounds they hear..."a bird, hear it?  Mama, the wind, hear it?"

Big Brownie has been ultra excited about the projects of the house.  To him, cleaning out a closet means finding new "treasures".  He found a jewelry box of mine from many years ago.  He brought it to me and said..."Oooo, treasure box Mommy".  His little eyes lit up to see what we could find.  Yesterday morning while sorting the laundry, he helped me by putting specific items in specific baskets.  The only problem was once I was done, he was not.  He dumped them all back into the floor and started all over again.  My initial reaction was to correct him, but I saw a determination in him to repeat the instruction on his own.  He put all the clothes back in the correct basket and I was pleased.  He followed direction and I realized he has a desire for me to give him responsibilities.  His new "job" is diaper duty.  He is to put all dirty diapers in the trash.  He completes his job well.  He does it with spunk and graciousness.

The Brownies inspire me to live each day to the fullest.  Not every day is filled with sunshine and rainbows, but I truly bathe in the blissfulness of the ones that do.

No comments: